A lot of people think of scallops as gourmet, restaurant food but the truth is that they’re really easy to make at home.  They’re perfect for a light, fast and easy meal because they only take minutes to cook.  I didn’t grow up eating scallops and didn’t really discover them until I was an adult.  Now it’s a safe bet that I’ll order them if I see them on a restaurant menu.  When I was in culinary school, I learned the proper way of cooking them and now I love to make them at home.  In restaurants, scallops are often basted in butter and served with rich sauces but on their own, they're actually really good for you.  Scallops are low in calories and packed with lean protein.  They’re rich in a wide variety of nutrients including selenium, phosphorus and zinc.  In addition, compared to other seafood, scallops are typically low in mercury.  Scallops are also low in saturated fat but have heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.  Because of the numerous health benefits of omega-3s, the USDA dietary guidelines recommend eating two servings of seafood per week.  So the next time you reach for salmon or tuna, consider trying something different and grab some scallops instead.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

0 comments